Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Paris Lines

Angelina Paris1,original art, 9" x 11"
Have you waited on line to get into Angelina's?

Angelina Paris2, original art, 9" x 11"

It's pretty much a given in Paris that you will wait on a lot of lines, though you don't read about this in the guide books...ahem

Parisiens think it's the most normal thing in the world to stand on line for hours for a cookie!

Actually you will be standing on line for just about everything except the METRO in Paris, so be prepared. Reading material on Carla is a good idea...

Love letters are fine, but not bills in my humble opinion...

Even once you've gained entre a little reading material comes in handy to distract you from the horrid anticipation of having to make a choice, say at patisserie Pierre Herme for example...

Here are some insane Parisiens waiting in line out in the bitter cold at La Maison du Chocolat to purchase their Easter chocolates.
Maybe they are not so insane after all....

Standing on line in Paris is a great way to get an overview on fashion trends...

You can get close up and personal and maybe even catch a shot with no one noticing...

Parisiens are that intent on their objective.

Particularly if it's FREE macarons on Mac Day at Pierre Herme!

Ah Ha! The much awaited prize!!! And well worth the wait too.

Even Paris hounds line up without much complaining.
They are quite well behaved in fact, but then they are used to it.
After all they're Parisien...
~
BONJOUR MERCREDI!

21 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:38 AM

    Are you a native New Yorker? No where else have I heard the expression "on line".

    ReplyDelete
  2. This series of storefronts is a goldmine. Each new work makes the series greater and greater. So enjoyable linework and colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:53 AM

    I must indulge myself. This afternoon, we will find Macarons!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:53 AM

    I absolutely *L*O*V*E* your storefront watercolors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have always loved storefronts in postcards, etc, but you don't find them very often and I've never seen any like yours. So I will dream of getting some one day. You can definitely do a book or a series of postcards! So yummy.
    Cheers
    Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:54 AM

    Oooh, I love your facades! More, please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:59 AM

    The dogs are the best dressed in Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:03 PM

    Thank you so much for this. I recently just look forward to your posts and reminese about the trip I took years ago and all the places I went too (including the macaroons!)

    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  8. angélina c'était hier,ce matin delmontel
    on se suit c'est drôle!!!
    manon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Speaking of Le Metro de Paris (second photo caption), have you done any paintings of the spectacular Guimard entrances? I love your artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE all of these storefront pictures. They are so wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  11. 25th Feb is Sylvie Guillems Birthday- the greatest Ballerina...

    Anyhoo- I did not understand paris lines and once, (only once), walked straight into a butcher shop passed everyone- then realised my mistake- I was SO ashamed! then the guy said You are Aussie? Yes?? I was even more ashamed!

    Never did it again

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to admit, I felt a little cheated when I didn't have to stand in line at Pierre Herme when I was in Paris in November. I walked right in and didn't have some extra time to make my decisions. Fortunately, the employees were very nice (even to this non-French speaking American) and even gave us free macarons for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:48 PM

    Yes, your "on line" expression gives you away! I am not good at lines, but abroad in Britain (my one and only trip) I spent time in ques and that was just fine. Of course the company was great and it was usually someplace fascinating. Probably would have been even better if I had been risking jail time taking illegal photos of private people. One day, you may find your trip extended, accepting the hospitality of the "house". :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I am scared now! We're heading to Paris in about 7 weeks, I am not good at standing and waiting. My 3 year old daughter is worse!
    I adore your watercolours, when I come home from our trip I hope to buy one as a momento of our trip, which is certain to be memorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These storefront sketches are lovely. They would make wonderful book covers!
    Plus, the cafés look so much nicer without the crowds ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous5:16 AM

    Your timing is great for storefronts, because so many of the charming ones disappear too often...and continue to disappear.
    Of course a lot of people are opening up new storefronts that look old, which is great. But not enough in my opinion.
    This is tooooo cool.
    I look forward to all your new work, like so many others.
    XO
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous8:11 AM

    Yep, we Parisians are just crazy about lines. What else would we do with our abundant free time?;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous12:05 PM

    "rester en ligne"
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Americans stand in line, the British queue and the French queue and do stuff whilst they wait.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Adorable!
    I want to get on a Paris Line!!!
    toute a suite!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would happily get on any Paris Line at anytime just to be in Paris...a great way to see the current trends too.
    Merci

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you