Saturday, January 17, 2015

How to buy Paddington Bear’s Hat

So yesterday Bear dragged me to see Paddington since we missed it during the Christmas season.

OK, The truth is I dragged Bear to see Paddington. I'm a late-comer but none-the-less mad about the bear.

We saw the French version so a language lecon is part of the deal. Translation: 'Please take care of this bear'

Paddington has lovely manners.

Most of the time...

This movie excerpt the French call "Chaos dans le sale de bain"

LOL

The original drawings in the first edition of A Bear Called Paddington in 1958 was illustrated by Peggy Fortnum and are so casual and charming.

I quite fell in love with Paddington's red suede bucket hat.

I'm not alone.
Vogue magazine thinks Paddington is the bee's knees too.
They say: 'Here's the thing about Paddington: He really is kind of chic'. They love his battered suitcase, blue duffle coat and like me, his rag-taggle red hat.

Paddington being of Peruvian origins I thought I'd check there first. Nope. Nothing close.

Same goes for just plain 'Paddington Bear's red hat'.

Vogue suggested Lovely Bird suede bucket hat at Urban Outfitters but they are not present in Paris in a big way...

Finally at Amazon I found a sort of look-alike faux suede hat. I sent it to author of Le Road Trip,  Vivian Swift and asked her to sit on the hat for a week before sending (to achieve the crumpled look.
Peut-etre...qui sait?

When Bear and I were leaving the theatre yesterday, we noticed in the credits the actual makers of Paddington's hat are Moody and Farrell of London. We may have to make a special request...
Bear was thrilled to see Paddington is also an artiste of distinction.

He's been busy painting 'bonus' renewal original watercolors for Paris Sketch Letter renewers. BIG MERCI!

By the way, original author 88-year old Michael Bond has a cameo part in this delightful film. Keep an eye out for him. If you've ever been a stranger in a strange land (me in Paris) or even just waiting at the station to be picked up and wondering if someone will  ever come or...you will LOVE PADDINGTON. A heart-felt film not just for kids. Please go!!

Evidently lots of kids wrote to Paddington and sent letters to the fictitious address in the book. They ended up in author Bond's mailbox.

If you'd like to get 6 past Paris Sketch Letters in your mailbox, there is a JANUARY SALE on in my Etsy shop.
6 letters in ONE envelope minus the extras(for weight issues) at reduced price and reduced shipping (with just one fold in case you'd like to hang them on the fridge).
What's not to love?
By the way, Paddington has left his paw prints all over Paris.
And he's made me want to wear a hat!
Cheers Carolg and Bear

30 comments:

  1. Loved this post. haven't seen the film, will probably get to see it on DVD. Lovely hat you found, just bought myself a new one, or my be tempted. As you say it's the sort of hat that needs to be sat on, and softened around the edges, like being rolled up in your pocket for a week. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too find Paddington very boho chic!
    He's such a cutie and a fine friend for Bear!
    Hats are cute..pretty etc..I just hate hat hair on me..
    Amazon.fr wouldn't have a French red hat for you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maureen8:27 AM

    Did Bear have to buy a ticket? I hope not. I expect him to be treated royally. The movie opened widely here in the US yesterday. That bear is so adorable I may just have to take myself to a theatre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This film is such a heart-warmer.
      Paddington could not be more endearing.
      A must see especially during these tough times.

      Delete
  4. Love this! Who knew? I do want to see it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Louisa9:11 AM

    Loving your hat series.
    Bear looks good at the cinema. I hope he gets to as many things as you go to..
    He's a chic companion himself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paddington is rather irresistible, isn't he? The film has just opened here in NY and I plan on buying my ticket very soon.

    How lovely to learn that children's letters to PB (what...another PB) did get forwarded on to the author.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am taking my daughter and her sons to see Paddington today. We are excited. My daughter's first movie was Peter Pan. She has been a Peter Pan fan from that point on. Does anyone remember Mary Martin in Peter Pan shown annually on TV in 50's? This will be my youngest grandson's first movie. Hope he becomes a Paddington fan. Thank you for this review. The only regret I have I will probably not see it in French.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh but you won't miss many of the jokes as I may have. I know you 'll all enjoy it immensely!
      Money-back guarentee.

      Delete
    2. It was a great movie. Enjoyed by all. I want to see it again tomorrow. I won't, but when it comes out on DVD maybe I can watch it in French. I watch French movies on Netflix. They do not help my french.

      Delete
  8. I LOVE this post. One of my favorites.
    I have fallen in love with Paris Breakfast ALL
    over again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suzanne2:34 PM

    bonne continuation ! we need your voice and eye !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saw Paddington yesterday with my 6 year old granddaughter, she loved it and so did I. A must see!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute; I didn't know anything about the book or movie, now I see why it is so popular. Your illustrated guide to Paddington is top notch.
    Bear looks very cute, too! Always good to see him.
    Your watercolors look superb as always.
    Thanks for the scoop on Paddington!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for putting Paddinton on my to-do list! I think it's one of the great stories of all time! Notice, I didn't even qualify that with "children's".

    ReplyDelete
  13. If anyone can pull off the Paddington Red Hat, it's you, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just knew that Bear would drag you to this film. Can't wait to see it. You will ROCK that squishy red hat!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable post! Paddington has long been a favorite for me. I must see the movie!
    Love your Angelina painting. '-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. All of your posts are so charming, but this one to the nth degree!!! I can't express how wonderful it is.

    And it's true, that style of bucket hat has been everywhere the past couple of months. I hadn't thought of Paddington, but now thanks to your perceptive eyes, I see it!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for a great post, Carol! I loved the movie too. I watched it with my 22 year old - the book was as much a favourite of her childhood as it was for me, and there were also a number of people older than me in the cinema. Actually, interestingly, the audience at my local London cinema was overwhelmingly adults rather than children.
    I loved how they made the film a great shout-out for tolerance and multiculturalism - could not be more timely right now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, what fun!! I've always loved Paddington bear. I'm so glad you and Bear went to see the movie. Can't wait to see the two of you in Paddington bear hats! (Bear is getting one, too, isn't he?!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the adorable first picture and love Paddington! I am definitely feeling like a stranger in 'an even stranger' land after leaving NJ for Florida. Can't wait to see this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad you loved Paddington, I fell under his thrall in December-I read the book, saw the movie, and blogged them both. I didn't think of longing for his red hat (I really don't suit most hats), but I did long for Mrs Browns shoes, they were truly quite delightful. I hope you noticed them too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I grew up with Paddington and lovely to see a movie for kids that's not just Disney. Also wonderful to see the author, Michael Bond. Was hoping to see this but couldn't find an excuse with my daughters who are now, well, teenagers... but sounds like we should just take along a bear and go! Thanks, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's for ALL ages Jill.
      Or just go yourself. No harm in it and much joy!

      Delete
  22. I really love your paintings and posts!i was missing coming here! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love that bear from having read his book. I used to have a Paddington Bear when I taught in preschools...Haven't seen the film yet, I'm so glad you liked it. I hope Bond liked it too. Fun to think about Paddington starting a mode!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am looking forward to seeing Paddington too. Do you know Mr. Bond's other series, Monsieur Pamplemousse? I'd love to see those made in to movies too. Glad to see you and bear out and about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you!
      I must look that up. ;)

      Delete
  25. Yes- I do make the red hats for humans too. And you can get one from me directly.
    The one in the film is made from wool felt which looks great as Paddington's ancient old hat, but I would suggest using a velour felt- which is a much more luxurious material- for a non-bear variety. Also- I can make it in any other colour.
    The hats are entirely hand-made to order, using the original hat-block made for the film. and cost between £220- £250( plus p&p) depending on fabric
    Let me know if you would like one.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you